Thursday, December 6, 2012

Can I Get a Witness?

So far the boys have completed three full days of school here in Lesotho. The days have been filled with anxiety, tears, uncertainty, and sudden moments of absolute terror for both the boys and myself. The decision to enroll our boys in school has been one in which we have prayed over for years, we've anguished over daily, and we continue to seek wisdom concerning. It is our own personal Mt. Moriah.

Last night while I was lying with Alex and Aden before bed we were discussing why we had made the decision to enroll them in school. The boys have absolutely no control over the issues at play here, so we were talking through the factors contributing to our decision to send them to school.  Once again our boys shocked us with wisdom far beyond their years.

Aden told me how he likes it that I put a small note in his lunch each day, and how everyday the entire class asks him to read it to them. Yesterday the note was on a MAF sticky pad paper. Aden said he read the note to the 11 other kids in his class, then asked them if they knew about MAF.

Aden relayed the moment.

"I told my teacher that MAF is the mission organization my dad works for and that he helps people and tells them about Jesus. I said to my teacher that I am not sure if Jesus is your god or not, but he is our God and then two other kids in the class said that Jesus is their God too. So that makes me feel better about going to school."

After Aden finished talking, Alex then went on to tell about how he had raised his hand in class and confronted his teacher on what she was teaching the class about the origins of man. Alex had posed very logical, very insightful questions to his teacher of only one day. Her answers were completely absurd, and Alex said the rest of the class started questioning her faulty science.

My sons have both taken stands that I would never have been able to take at their ages. As a parent, I am proud.

While the boys fell asleep last night, I, for the first time in months had a glimmer of peace about sending them into this very unknown, very foreign environment. For whatever reasons, God is asking this of our family for this particular season. After talking to my boys last night I realized they had already begun to cling to a promise from an ancient story, which I had not.

After Abraham sacrificed Isaac on Mt. Moriah the place was renamed, "The Lord Will Provide." Last night I needed this reminder, and I would do well to recall it everyday. I do not know what the next few weeks and months hold for my precious boys. So, I fall back on the only truth there is and it is all in His Word. I pray I have as much courage as my sons, and that I seek my answers there.


Genesis 22:15-17

"I swear by myself declares the Lord that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son. I will surely bless you ... and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed because you obeyed me."

5 comments:

tarrah t said...

Awww, Megan. This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. You have precious kids.

Anonymous said...

Hello Megan! This is Billy Rollins, worship pastor at Charity Baptist Church in Kannapolis, NC. We are praying for you guys. Sounds like Alex and Aden have a strength that you and Richard have intentionally prayed for and labored toward. What a blessing!

As we communicate with you guys, is your blog the best way, or do you and/or Richard have an email address?

Our church is praying for you!

Billy

Anonymous said...

Hello Megan! This is Billy Rollins, worship pastor at Charity Baptist Church in Kannapolis, NC. We are praying for you guys. Sounds like Alex and Aden have a strength that you and Richard have intentionally prayed for and labored toward. What a blessing!

As we communicate with you guys, is your blog the best way, or do you and/or Richard have an email address?

Our church is praying for you!

Billy

mrharrell said...

Billy, The best way to communicate is via email. We are at rharrell@maf.org. Thank you so much for your prayers. We are merely an extension of those who sent us, and lift us up in prayer daily. Blessings. M

Jessica said...

praying for you all the time! miss you terribly. it's hard to go to church and not start crying. Elijah carries your picture around with him and tells everyone your his cousins in Africa. Tell Rich that if it's possible Amelia is getting cuter...and I can tell she misses him:)