Thursday, July 24, 2014

One, Humbled Leader ...

Today, I had the privilege of speaking at Genesis' Leadership Academy Seminar. It was a four-day-long event, which challenged students from area schools to become leaders in their communities and lives. I served a dual role in the Leadership Academy event, as I was also recording it, and taking pictures for the media component of our ministries here, at Genesis. So, I was a familiar face among the 70-some, promising, young, South African students, when I stood behind the podium today, and possibly a safe authority from which to acquire understanding.

The topic of my presentation was, "Humility in Leadership, (how to lead others without abusing your authority, empowering others, and leaving a lasting legacy). While preparing for this 45 minute presentation, I was convicted many times. It was a Spiritual journey of my own for sure.

I had seen the sadness in these kids. I had observed their plights, and I felt a tremendous amount of responsibility standing before them today. I dove into my points about the characteristics of a HUMBLE LEADER, then followed these points with global, historical, examples of individuals, who defined humility to their very ends. Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela, Ghandi, etc.

I countered these stories with the tragic demises of men, who lived arrogantly... lacking in all aspects of humility. My examples were Adolf Hilter, Mussolini, and Napoleaon Bonapart. As I discussed the tragic stories of these men's erroneous quests for power, a hand went into the air. I stopped mid-thought and welcomed the question, completely unprepared for the inquiry I was about to face...

I called on the young man. He posed his question, "If pride is such a bad thing in leadership, why is Adolf Hitler considered one of the greatest leaders of all time?" WOW!!!!!!!!! 

JAW DROP!!

WHAT?????

Am I the only one who was raised on the reality of what this monster did to God's chosen people??? 

Appalled...


Thankfully, someone else stepped in and appropriately dealt with this child's inquiry... I was stunned.. speechless.. and all I could come up with was this..."Adolf Hitler was certainly not a man, who I would ever consider a great leader, and never a person whom one should aspire to emulate."

But, seriously.... how in 2014... do we still have young men believing, and calling Adolf Hitler, a great leader?? 6 MILLION of God's chosen people slaughtered ... and yet the agenda still lives on. I was so discouraged.

UNTIL....

I spoke with the last speaker of the Leadership Academy Seminar. I shared my discouragement with him, and he asked me what the boy looked like, who posed the earth shattering question to me. The speaker giggled and then stated, "Well, when you must have made an impact because when I asked them what they had learned.. that kid was the first to raise his hand and say, 'I learned a true leader is humble."

Tears....

Sigh....

Hope...

The events of this day leave me exhausted. Profoundly pensive, yet entirely assured that My GOD IS MOVING. May we always be as shocked, and as humbled, as I was today before this room filled with inquiring young minds. Malleable minds. But, who will step up to mold them?

I, personally, am incredibly humbled to have been able to have had a small voice in the lives of these future leaders. If not me??...If not you??? ....then WHO?


No comments: