Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Gravity of Life and Death in Lesotho

A few months ago a Dutch family with MAF's program in Lesotho contacted us and asked if we would be willing to hire their house worker, as they would soon be relocating to work with MAFI in Nairobi, Kenya. They relayed an immense desire for their house worker to be employed inside a Christian home, because they had been sharing the love of Jesus with her. This family told us about what a great worker she was, and how well she did with their children. They shared how she often brought her own children to work with her, and how all the children played so well together.

We received pictures of M'e Julia, and I immediately began to be thankful for this kind, fresh-faced woman I believed would become my friend. I have to admit, I thought even if every thing else fell apart when I got to Africa, at least I will have M'e Julia coming to my home. I would have at least one person to talk with, and my children would be able to play with hers. I began to imagine what it would be like to welcome her into my home, to share my life and my children's lives with her and her children. I looked forward to learning the Basotho culture, as well as the Sesotho language from this young woman. M'e Julia was an integral part of my pre-field plan to survive my impending, on-the-field culture shock.

Yesterday, we received word from our colleagues in Nairobi, that M'e Julia is direly ill. She has AIDS, and unless the Lord intervenes it is too late. M'e Julia did not exhibit any signs of illness this summer when she helped the other MAF family pack up their home for their move to Kenya. In fact, they said the news that she even had AIDS came as a complete shock to them.

I had never met M'e Julia, but I wept for her. This is the reality of life in Lesotho. I guess I had been guilty of having the mindset that the suffering would not reach me, my kids, or our home. This news not only invaded my plans for my future home in Lesotho, but it brought with it a jarring awareness, that this is life in Lesotho. People are sick with AIDS and do not even realize it. Good people are sick with AIDS. Innocent people are infected with AIDS, and they die.

I have so much more to learn about the true situation in Lesotho. I do not pretend to know all there is to know about the daily life there. I am sure my team members who have lived there for years are much better suited for a description of the ins and outs of Lesotho life. I only know this; just because Americans are not directly impacted by the suffering of individuals on the other side of the world, does not mean the suffering is non existent. We can do better as a human race. We can care more, we can love more, we can try harder to find a solution for so many without hope. We can make more of an effort to show the love of the Ultimate Physician to those who have an AIDS death sentence. They may not receive a cure on earth, but we as believers can offer them something of much greater value. We can offer them Jesus. Who are we to keep Him to ourselves when so many are suffering? How fortunate are we to be able to offer the world's only true hope to the hopeless?

2 comments:

Brian and Becky Harrell said...

Hey Meg, this is so sad, made me want to cry as well. I trust that there is someone there that can lead her to follow Christ if she has not already made that commitment? When people know the end is near, they are often ready to make things right with the Lord, and accept the salvation in Christ that they had hesitated to receive before. I just received word from my friends Agera that I am discipling, that her nephew (who I meet a few weeks ago has died this morning. We knew it was coming. He was just skin and bones (died of AIDS as well), but he was so young, about Andrew and Alex's age. I had challenged her to share the gospel with him, and I am trusting she did a good job. She said she believes he is now in heaven. It blesses my heart that he at least had a chance to hear, there are so many here that have not even heard the first time. That is why you are coming, and why we are here. It is not an easy job, but even in death, God is allowing us to play a part in saving lives. Looking forward to having you in Africa.

Brian and Becky Harrell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.